Saturday, November 04, 2006

Video Codec's Part 2

Yesterday I was disappointed in the way my new Linux box was playing videos. I installed all the Codec Packs I could find and was still having trouble playing my Samsung video files and DVDs. I went to the Internet with Firefox and tried to play videos from the web in the browser and had trouble too. I tracked down the Samsung problem to a Codec and found that there just wasn't a Codec for Linux for it. (I did find one for MS WIndows).

The DVD would not play at work either in one machine but would in another. The only common factor I saw was both my Linux Box and Work MS Windows Box have DVD burners in them...hmm...The MS Windows 2000 machine that it did play in did not have a Burner in it. I will chalk this up to DRM.

Firefox not playing videos from the Internet is troubling. I will work on it tonight and we will see.

On one of my removable hard drives I had some standard MOV, AVI, DIVX, and MPEG files so I tested them. They worked just fine. Good, that means I did not trash my Codecs on this Linux Box.

Video 4 of 10 (Had to get Codecs just to start, had to install a second Package Installer to get most Codecs, Windows has my needed Codec but Linux doesn't? Oh I could recompile my Linux Mplayer to get it to work, but why? Shouldn't it just be done already if its a know issue? This is the NEWBIE in me complaining about free things)

NOTE: Keep in mind this is my 4th day as a Linux user and I am looking at this OS from an easy of use point of view. I don't want to have to research that much at first. I will later in the month but not in the first week.

2 comments:

Enos Straitt said...

VLC *should* play almost all formats right out of the box...give it a try. Also called "Video Lan Client". It works when Mplayer or Totem will not.

knightmare said...

I installed VLC but not Video Lan, I didn't know that video lan was a player. I will give it a try.

thanks