Saturday, November 04, 2006

USB Storage Devices Results

I've done my USB tests on the storage devices. The results were surprisingly good. All the three Thumb Drives worked without fail and all three of the External Hard Drives worked just fine. I was able to read and write to/from all of them. The only thing I noticed was a forth Thumb Drive had very slow read access. It was a SIMPLE TECHNOLOGY 256mb. Now to be fair it was the oldest one I had so it could have been a USB 1.1 model. The way I test these devices was to CUT 20 photos from the Thumb Drives and paste them into my HOME directory then CUT them and put them back on the Thumb Drive. On the External Hard Drives I moved a 100mb file back and forth. All tests went well.

I learned that when you connect a USB storage device it creates an icon on your DESKTOP. You just DOUBLE CLICK on it and it opens in a FILE BROWSER window. It was very similar to USB Storage operation on a MS Windows Machine. Now when you are done and want to remove the USB Storage Device you RIGHT CLICK on its Icon on your DESKTOP and select EJECT. The system then writes anything that was cached and disappears from your DESKTOP. You then just unplug whatever USB Storage Device you were using. This is kinda like MS Windows 2000 did. If you remove the USB Storage Device before Ejecting it you get a warning about potential data loss.

I give Ubuntu 6.1 Linux a 9.5 out of 10 on USB Storage Devices. (Would have been 10 of 10 but I don't like having to Eject the USB Storage Device before removing it.)

1 comment:

Enos Straitt said...

To be fair, you are supposed to do that in Windows as well, but it has safeguards to protect the data.