Friday, November 03, 2006

Codec Troubles

I have a Samsung Camcorder that will record to a DV tape or to a sony memory stick. When you record to the memory stick it save the files as AVIs. Well they are in a priority Samsung codec of SMP4. I could not locate a Linux codec for it. Now I could record to the DV tape but then I would have to put a firewire card in this box and get it working with Linux. Maybe later in the month.

The good news is that I was able to track down the problem, research it, and document it here. I did find a few articles that told me I could "recompile mplayer" to fool it into treating the SMP4 as a DIVX file which it is (SMP4 is a clone of MP4 or DIVX so the articles said). But I'm not ready to "recompile" anything yet.

So no DVD playback yet and no home movie editing with the Samsung videos.

No comments: