Thursday, November 02, 2006

Installation Take One

Nov 1, 2006, 4:20pm, Installation has begun. The first thing that you see is a screen asking what you want to do.

1 Start or Install Ubuntu.
2 Start Ubuntu in Safe Graphic Mode.
3 Check CD for Errors.
4 Memory Test.
5 Boot from First Hard Drive

Well I'm planning on installing Ubuntu and using this whole 80gb hard drive for it (no duel boot) so I picked option one (Start or Install Ubuntu). I pick it and wait. It took about two minutes and a MS Windows like screen appears. The screen looks enough like windows that I'll be able to get around easily. The screen has a brown and tan background and the task bar (windows talk) is at the top of the screen, the clock/calender and the SHUTDOWN/LOGOFF button is in the upper right corner and the “Start Button” labeled “APPLICATIONS” is in the upper left corner. There are two other menu buttons on this task bar, PLACES and SYSTEM. There is a “quick launch bar” beside these menu buttons and I know them, they are the icons for FireFox and Evolutions email. The third icon is a question mark and is “help”. There are two Icons on the desktop, they are INSTALL and EXAMPLES. There is a bar at the bottom and on its left side is a small button that says “Click here to hide all windows” when you mouse over it. On the bottom right side there is a little “trash can” and to squares, one gray and one orange and say “switch between workspaces” when moused over. Hmm... Looks cool in a different from MS Windows kinda way. Lots of stuff I don't know yet and some I want to play with, but I'm here to INSTALL it, so I double click on the INSTALL Icon on the desktop.

NOTE: you can just play with Ubumtu at this point without hurting anything on your MS Windows hard drive so I'm told. Kind of a test drive if you will.


Ok, I've double clicked on the INSTALL Icon and a window pops up and says it's one of six. It wants to know what language I want. I pick ENGLISH.

Screen two or six want to know what part of the world I'm in and what is the time and date. I pick NEW YORK (closest choice) but the time is wrong so I click on it to set it. I adjust it and click on the “next” button. NOTHING HAPPENS. Now what? I try clicking “next” again, NOTHING. I click a few more times (crazy) and still NOTHING. I try ESC. NOPE. I try the good old windows “three finger salute” NO GO. My mouse moves but the change time windows will not leave. Fine! I hit the power button on the Linux Wanna Be Box and “hard reboot”. This could be bad. Not a good start (I look longingly at my MS Windows Laptop just two feet away).

Next - Installation Take Two.

1 comment:

Enos Straitt said...

Yeah, I had to pick "Mexico" as my time zone city. What, no Dallas? Commies!

As for language, you and I both were prolly confused because "hillbilly" was not one of the choices.

The freeze up you had on the first install attempt happened to me on two different installs (both at work on OLD hardware)...I thought it was just me. Check out the fourms and see if it is a known bug.