Friday, November 03, 2006

USB Functions

When I plugged in a LG 1gb thumb drive into a USB Port on this Linux Box it worked without any fuss. Once plugged in the drives little blue light came on and a "computer-file browser" window popped up showing me the thumb drives contents. Just to make sure it was working, I copied a photo from the thumb drive to the my "Home" directory. I then copied a photo from my "Home" directory back to the thumb drive. No Problem. When I just pulled the thumb drive from the USB port I got an "unsafe drive removal" message. It gave instruction on how to safely remove the thumb drive but I clicked the screen causing the message to disappear before I read it. (Note: This Linux Box is a Dell 4500. It has one of the worst designed front panel USB ports I've ever seen. It lives under a half circle gray door with the Dell logo on it. This door does not open very far and the ports are set at a very odd angle.)

This weekend I am going to buy a SanDisk Multi-Memory card reader for a windows machine but I think I will try to get it to work on this Linux Box first.

USB Tests to do:
1. Memorex 256mb thumb drive
2. LG 1gb thumb drive
3. SanDisk 4gb thumb drive
4. Western Digital 2.5 external Hard Drive 60gb
5. Western Digital 3.5 External Hard Drive 120Gb
6. Homemade 3.5 External Hard Drive 300gb
7. Sandisk Multi-Memory Card Reader
8. Cannon S2 1S Digital Camera
9. Cheap Cannon Digital Camera ($125)
10. Kodak 3430 Digital Camera
11. Creative Zen Extra 40gb MP3 Player
12. Apple IPod Video 30gb (is there a Linux iTune?)
13. HP 1100 and/or1200 LaserJet Printer
14. Dell Axim pocket PC running Pocket PC 2003

I will break this down into four categories, testing all the storage devices/readers, then the cameras, then MP3 players, and finally the printers/Handhelds. The storage devices and cameras are most important to me so they will be done this weekend. I will post my results as I get them.

1 comment:

Enos Straitt said...

Go to http://getautomatix.com and follow the instructions to get access to a bunch of great media tools. Only install what you need.