Friday, November 03, 2006

First Boot

Nov 1, 2006, 5:24pm, It's Alive!!!, I am presented with a USER NAME BOX. I type in my user name I gave it earlier and it asks me for my password. I give it and Ubuntu 6.1 Linux starts for the first on my new Look At Me I'm Running Linux Box. Everything looks just like I described it earlier except there are no Icons on the desktop. My USB Logitec Mouse is working and so is the PS2 Mouse. The PS2 Keyboard is working and the screen resolution is set to 1280 by 1024 and looks to be in 32bit color (it must have found the NVidia driver). The Sound Blaster Live is good too. Hey its now telling me that there are UPDATES available for download. Did it find the Realtek Network card and DCHP my Linksys router? Lets see. I was told to CLICK ON NOTIFICATION BUTTON to get the updates but could not find it and had to hunt for it (it was an orange and white button upper right beside date). I Clicked on the NOTIFICATION BUTTON and Bam! it's goes to the internet and downloads the updates. It runs the updates and STOP! It wants an ADMINISTRATOR password (I know ROOT not admin). The problem is I did not tell it nor did it ask for a ROOT password during the setup. Now What? Well I try the MS Windows default of "leave it blank". Nope, that didn't work. Hmm...Alright how about root or ROOT? REJECTED.. lets try my password. It worked! But wait a minute, does that mean I'm the ROOT? I thought that was a no no on Linux/Unix. Well the updates ran and installed just fine now. Lets see what's here. First thing find a "device manager" and make sure all the hardware is working. Where would that live? SYSTEM/ADMINISTRATION/DEVICE MANAGER easy, got it on the first try. Man what a list! This will take some time to go through so screw it, lets see if the Internet is working. I clicked on the FIREFOX Icon and, and, and, yes we have Internet. Firefox seems a little sluggish, this is a 2ghz machine, not state of the art but not bad either.

It's now 5:30pm and this machine is up and running, the hardware seems to be working and I have Internet access. I will now use my MS Windows machine for the last time this month. I log onto my MS Windows Laptop and copy all my email contacts, needed files, favorites, and a few play files (mp3, AVIs, ect) to an Internet storage server and to a thumb drive and a removable USB Hard drive 300gb. I then power the MS Windows Laptop down and remove his battery. I give it one last look and put it in its carrying bag. I have decided to live or die with Linux for the next 30 days.

Next - Taking Inventory

1 comment:

Enos Straitt said...

If it tells you that you have updates, you are live on the 'net!

Ubuntu Linux is different than most distro's because 'su' (super user) is used and root is not used much. To access root/su powers, the command 'sudo' plus the command gives you root.

NVidia can be tricky. Drivers are not very fun in Linux, so if they work, it is best at first to leave them alone.

If Firefox is sluggish, try the "fasterfox" extension. Also Linux is faster than Windows if you are using a bare bones Linux windows mgr line XFCE or IceWM. You need a lot of RAM to run a 'pretty' Linux desktop.