Tuesday, November 07, 2006

One Week of Linux (Status Report 1)

This is my seventh day of Ubuntu 6.1 Linux and I like it so far. I have sworn off MS Windows (at home) for 30 days and I plan on sticking to it. After one week of using Linux I have not missed my MS Windows Laptop too much. I have been able to get Linux to do everything I've wanted it to so far with one exception, VPN. If I want to access my work I have to VPN in to get to anything. Well our VPN machine is Linux based but I haven't found the time to research the VPN Client I need. But I feel I should be able to get the VPN to work on this Linux Box because the VPN server is Linux Based. I also think this will be hard. The other thing I miss is the Laptop mobility itself. This is not Linux's fault, the Box I had was a Desktop Dell that I rebuilt for someone.

What Have I done so far:
  1. I've installed Ubuntu 6.1
  2. Got Ubuntu working with my internet
  3. Customized my Desktop
  4. Installed several application that did things I needed to do.
  5. Installed a second Package Installer
  6. Got Ubuntu (easily) working with six different removable hard drives and thumb drives
  7. Got my Cannon S2 1S camera working
  8. Updated my Video Drivers
  9. Got DVDs playing
  10. Got my PodCasts downloading automaticly
  11. Got internet radio stations working
  12. Burned Music CDs
  13. Burned Data CDs
  14. Got my Sanyo Cell phone to Sync with Evolutions
  15. Used thumb drive to transfer work files (MS Office Docs) to this Linux box and edit them with OpenOffice.
  16. Created and maintained this Blog

Things I plan on doing:

  1. Networking with my MS Network (shares)
  2. VPN into Work
  3. Remote Desktop
  4. Memory Upgrade
  5. Use some HTML editors with lite java
  6. Install and use WINE
  7. VMWare what is it and what can it do
  8. Add a Firewire PCI Cadr
  9. Add a Linksys Wireless Network Card
  10. Edit Video shot with a Samsung Camcorder
  11. Rip Cd audio
  12. Rip DVD
  13. Sync a Dell Axim Pocket PC 2003
  14. Install a Scanner (cannon)
  15. Install a printer (HP laserjet 1200 USB)
  16. Access a remote printer on a MS Windows Box
  17. Share a local Printer with a MS Windows Box
  18. Add a second Hard Drive
  19. Explore some network tools (packet readers, port scanners, ect.)
  20. Learn the command line
  21. Learn the file Linux structure (where does what live on the had drive)
  22. Learn some disk editing tool (sector editor in windows)
  23. Install and use MYSQL
  24. Install and use Appache


Things have been going kind of fast. I've spent 3 to 5 hours a day working with this Linux Box. So Far I have been using my "Click and Pray" method and it has went well but as you can see from the to do list above you can't just CLICK some of those things and have them magically work (especially the LEARN things).

After one week of use I give Ubuntu 6.1 Linux an 8.5 of 10. If I stopped right now I could do 85% of what I usually do with a computer. The VPN, Web Site Programing and Graphics Editing will move that number up to 95%. I am a die hard Photoshop user and have been for years so switching to GIMP is a challenge. If I can install WINE and get Photoshop working that would rock. This is all based on the options of someone who has only been using LINUX for 7 days (21 to 35 hours total on keyboard time)

8 comments:

Enos Straitt said...

Aye lad, you are makin' me proud!

Anonymous said...

Please do try Wine! But don't
expect Photoshop to work yet.
See http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=17
for details.
The upshot is, Adobe's copy protection
isn't supported by Wine yet.

Enos Straitt said...

1. Networking with my MS Network (shares) -- Can sometimes be tricky
2. VPN into Work -- Never tried it
3. Remote Desktop - Never tried it
4. Memory Upgrade -- Same as Winders
5. Use some HTML editors with lite java -- Bluefish is very good.
6. Install and use WINE -- I have had some luck with it.
7. VMWare what is it and what can it do -- I never had the need for it but it will allow you to run different OS's on a "virtual machine". I have friends at church who do use VMware from Solaris boxes to run Windows pragrams
8. Add a Firewire PCI Cadr -- Never played with Firewire
9. Add a Linksys Wireless Network Card -- Wireless can be tricky, but Ubuntu recognizes most cards.
10. Edit Video shot with a Samsung Camcorder -- Never had the need
11. Rip Cd audio -- easy
12. Rip DVD -- Never tried it.
13. Sync a Dell Axim Pocket PC 2003 -- Hope it works better than my Palm T|E :)
14. Install a Scanner (cannon) -- Easy
15. Install a printer (HP laserjet 1200 USB) -- Never tried USB, but parallel always works for me.
16. Access a remote printer on a MS Windows Box -- easy
17. Share a local Printer with a MS Windows Box -- easy
18. Add a second Hard Drive -- not hard, but you need to use the command line IIRC.
19. Explore some network tools (packet readers, port scanners, ect.) -- Never needed them.
20. Learn the command line -- Take your time and read.
21. Learn the file Linux structure (where does what live on the had drive) -- That will take some time but it is worth it.
22. Learn some disk editing tool (sector editor in windows) -- Never used it
23. Install and use MYSQL -- installing is easy
24. Install and use Appache -- Installing and configuring is not hard, but you need to read the man pages

knightmare said...

Thanks for the info Anonymous

knightmare said...

You to El Gee

rycherox said...

Bill Gates is on line one. He wants to make you an offer you can't refuse :-)

knightmare said...

The penguins are stealing my sanity.

Jude Wagner said...

Verry nice post