Thursday, November 09, 2006

Gnome Commander

This post should have been on November 8, 2006, but Blogspot would not play nice.

I installed GNOME COMMANDER and like it more than FILE BROWSER that was initially installed. It has a very nice two panel layout showing you two different directories at the same time. This makes moving files easy. In addition it displays more information on the screen at one time.

I installed another program called VYM View Your Mind. It looks like and says it is a brainstorming, graphical idea organization program. I don't know if I'll have much use for it but I thought I'd try to organize my list of things I want to test on this Ubuntu Linux Box. If it works out I'll post a screen shot or two.

The third thing I did was download a DEBIAN REFERENCE MANUAL. I plan on working on some networking this weekend and want to have some reference handy. I've spent most of my Linux Box time today reading and doing real work with the box (made a few spreed sheets, and a couple of Word Docs with OpenOffice).

2 comments:

Enos Straitt said...

I use "Free Commander" in Windows, which this is a clone of, I think.

Anonymous said...

Gnome-commander is not a clone of "Free Commander". AFAIK both are GUI representations based on Midnight Commander which is/was a very popular file manager that ran in CLI mode only. Midnight Commander (or MC) has been around since as long as I can remember, even before GUI-based OSes were the norm.

An additional GUI representation based on MC is Krusader which is KDE based.

And I agree, the "commander"-type file managers make moving and organizing large amounts of files very easy.