Friday, November 10, 2006

Memory Card Reader/USB Hub

I just purchased a nice little item that works well with this Linux Box. It's a DIGIPOWER Combo Card Reade/Writer & USB 2.0 Hub. It's says its a 32 in 1 memory card reader and has 3 USB 2.0 ports too. It was $25-$30 at the local Circuit City. I bought it because I needed a card reader. I hate wasting the battery power on my digital cameras by plugging them into the USB port and downloading from them.

I just plugged the Digipower into a USB port and it started working. I plugged one of my thumb drives into one of Digipower's USB ports and it worked just fine. I tested it with a couple of SD Cards and they work too. Sony Memory Stick good too.

You'll notice in the photo that it has a big white circle in its center. That circle is what Digipower calls a "Mood Light". As it sits it cycles slowly and smoothly through all the Reds, Blues and Greens. This looks cool at first but could become annoying after awhile. All in all it's works, it it's small and it reads and writes everything I need (it will even let you copy from you SD Card straight to your USB Thumb Drive).


On a Linux Note: remember how I said when I plugged my digital camera into my USB port I was confronted with a window that offered to Copy my Photos from my camera to my hard drive but was not given an option to access the card directly. Well with this reader I still get the transfer window but if I cancel it, it's mounted as a removable hard drive and you can browse it, read from it, or write to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how technology has become so integrated in our day to day lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further develops, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://www.leetboss.com/video-games/r4i-r4-sdhc-nintendo-ds]R4i[/url] DS SPPost)