Friday, November 10, 2006

I'M MAD AT ME!!!

WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT!!! I'M MAD AT ME! and yes I am yelling. Here I sit happily just "tweaking" my new Linux Box into how I think a Desktop should look and feel and I just recreated the damn MS Windows XP Desktop. (and yes the background was changed for effect just now "we did do the nose a bit" Monty Python). I don't really believe that this is the "right way" but I have been conditioned over the years by MS to think this way! This has to stop right now! I need to quit trying to get this Linux Box to look, act, and feel like MS Windows, it's not. If I want windows I can just plug the stupid XP hard drive back in and have the real thing.

The straw that broke the camels back was when I went looking for a way to replace the Ubuntu Main Menu Button with a Green START ICON. That's just wrong! To get the most out of this experiment I have to stop thinking like a spoon fed MS Windows Users and start embracing the Linux that is on this box. The first place I'm going to start is with this Desktop, I'm taking the dress off this pig because she ain't no lady. Back to the Linux Look. Tomorrow is Command Line day!

(I think I just had an intervention with myself, scary).

6 comments:

Enos Straitt said...

We have created monster... {snicker}

rycherox said...

Interesting comment about how people can be conditioned to think a certain way. Windows has spoiled people, without a doubt. I was tempted to do the same thing when I messed with the Slax Linux CD. I kept looking for things that reminded me of My Computer, Network Neighborhood, etc. The more I messed with it, though, the more I liked the "alternate" look of the KDE(?) GUI.

knightmare said...

I have since reverted back to the default LINUX Ubuntu look and feel.

One of the things I noticed was that when I took the MENU BAR and changed it to a Menu Button (did away with the Places System options) I had to 3 click to get to my home directory instead of 2 click and the location of the click points did not feel right.

It seems like a small thing but I did notice it.

Rycherox I'm using GNOME as my desktop, what do you think of KDE?

Enos Straitt said...

If you dig simplicity, the try XFCE or IceWM.

Line O'Sevens said...

Great blog - good to see what other people think as they go through the same thing I am (although I'm doing a much more cowardly dual-boot until I'm totally convinced. Granted, I only have the one computer!).

The whole "No, this is NOT Windows!" thing was the very reason why I switched from Xandros to Ubuntu. I wanted it to help me out a bit, but I didn't want it to help me by being Windows-like. I wanted to learn about Linux, not Windows-that-isn't-quite-the-same.

One of the comments on your previous day's entry asked why you chose Ubuntu as a distro instead of one of the ones that looks and acts more like Windows. *That's* why I chose Ubuntu.

Line O'Sevens said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.