Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cell Phone Sync Part 2

In part one of Cell Phone Sync, I got my data from my Sanyo 7300 Cell Phone and into three CSV files with BitPIM. Well it turns out that CSV is not the best format to use when going from BitPIM to Evolutions Email. The vCard Export Option seems to be the best. I still had a lot of tweaking to do but it was just mouse clicks. I had about 85 contacts in my Cell Phone, each having 3 or 4 phone numbers and an email address. For some reason Evolutions read my HOME NUMBER category as PRIMARY NUMBER. This would have been fine except Evolutions refused to display PRIMARY NUMBER in the List View. I had to open every contact and change Primary Number to HOME NUMBER. I also had to change the way some names were displayed but that could have been me when I added them to the Cell Phone originally. It took about 20 minutes to clean them up but that was faster and more accurate than retyping the 300 + items.

There was a vCalendar Export Option in BitPIM too and I assume it would work better too. (I did not sync my calendars)

Oh, the way you, get your contacts into Evolutions from your saved BitPIM files into Evolutions is by going to Evolutions menu option FILE, then IMPORT, then pick FROM A SINGLE FILE in the pop up window, then browse to your BitPIM files and select them. The rest of the wizard auto-detected everything and I just clicked "Forward" until it was done.

No comments: