Monday, November 20, 2006

Got Busy

I got kinda busy last week and didn't get much done. I'm off from work the rest of this week so I will be posting more. I drug out a Cannon Scanner, and an HP 1200 printer. I will hook them up and test them before Friday. I have not removed Linux from my laptop yet and I plan on giving wireless another go. I am using WEP encryption and I think that is what is keeping the DLink card from working. I noticed that the laptop had a Nvidia Go graphics card in it so I am going to try the Linux Nvidia drivers and see if that fixes my stutter problem.

I need to see if FireWire is working on the laptop too. If it is I will try the Samsung camcorder again using firewire DV instead of the priority Samsung divx codec.

I've created a second user account on this box to see how linux/Ubuntu handles multiple accounts. Tonight, I'm going to setup a couple of shares and see how well another linux box will connect to it. (Laptop to desktop) Also on the agenda is a DVD rip and burn (backup).

I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Enos Straitt said...

Conmfiguring wireless can be tough. I have my router set to WEP and used WiFi-Radar to set up the wireless link from hockey-puck. When you use it to search out wifi spots, you click on them and set up the configuration. WHen you have the choice of 'auto', use it. if you have a WEP key, you enter it in the proper field. I have gotten it to work from home and at church without too much of a problem.

There is another tool that I installed (NetworkManager) that helped a lot with laptop network connections.'

Both of these should be in Synaptic. if you, you need to uncomment some of the repositories so you have full access to multiverse and backport packages.

rycherox said...

Do what with a suppository? Stick it in whose backport? That's sick, dude :-)