Thursday, November 23, 2006

FSCK Forced File System Scan

I went to my Linux box today and it told me that "drive dev/hda had been mounted 30 times without being scanned, forced check" and then began running what I think was a disk check with the FSCK command. The process took about 3 minutes.

Ok I understand checking the disk for errors or on bad shutdowns but why FORCE me to do it. Linux, for an OPEN operating system is awful pushy. Why not just install and force virus scan, force a fire wall on me too, hey while were at it, hide my admin account and generate random 20 charter passwords and randomly rotate them a couple of dozen times over the year. This sure does FEEL like the way Microsoft treats me. If you are truely OPEN explain it to me then let me PICK what I want to do, not what you think is best.

I thought open meant choice. Don't get me wrong this fsck might be a good thing, and if it was explained to me before it JUST RAN and offered me a CHOICE, I might have opted in. If you keep protecting me from myself how am I to learn. I've had Hard drive crashes before, I know how to backup my data, I learned from those crashes.

6 comments:

Enos Straitt said...

I was a bit miffed at that when it first happened but it is a carry over from the fact that Linux was not designed (although it is safe to do) to be rebooted or shut down at the end of each day.

rycherox said...

I could see that from a business standpoint, but is it realistic to think there are lots of people who leave their personal computers on all the time? One would hope there'd be a feature to disable FSCK.

Enos Straitt said...

Linux users tend not to shut down much. I have a Linux box at work that had an uptime of 37 days and that was only rebooted because of a power outage :) I would leave my Linux server up and running all the time but my wife would kill me.

Now to be fair, I have been told that this is a Ubuntu thing for safety...not sure if it can be disabled or not.

knightmare said...

It ran quickly, I have about 15 gigs of data on the drive but I would hate to think what it would do on a machine I have with two 300 gbs drives full.

Anonymous said...

I realise this is a very old post, but since I found it after a google search I had to respond.

You are an idiot! Yes, Linux is all about being open. And the way YOU (or your distribution) chose to format your ext3 partition is not the fault of Linux! There is a flag to set this. (see man tune2fs) It's your fault. And it's EASY to disable. Don't post flamebait like this without doing your research first!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.