Friday, November 17, 2006

Hit a Wall

I think I have hit a wall with Ubuntu. I have made it 17 days but I'm running out of things to try. I have given up on WIRELESS NETWORKING for now and VPN ACCESS is a total loss (I can't find my needed VPN Client).

The things I have left that I want to try are Linux to Linux and Windows to Linux Networking but this will require some amount of research. I want to get a USB Scanner working and a USB Printer. I am going to play with some video editing and I want to try DVD ripping and buring.

Other things I have done: I've got full internet access thanks to Firefox 2.0, Email with Evolutions (all PIM function), Cell Phone access through the USB Cable, Digital Camera access, and all the removable media item I need. Open Office 2.x handles all my word processing, spreadsheet and slide show needs. Rythmbox works great for my audio needs and mPlayer does video pretty well. I've found a few surprises too, VYM (View Your Mind), I didn't even know something like this was out there (I'm searching for a MS Windows version for work).

The latest piece of software I installed was SKYPE, it's a very nice voice chat, IP Telephone. I haven't used it much but it works well and I like it.

On the photo editing front, I can use GIMP but I as I said, I'm a Photoshop guy and nothing will change that. With the photo viewers and organizers they are all pretty good and easy to use but nothing special.

I am comfortable using Ubuntu Linux with Gnome but once the windows disappear and I'm left at the command line, I'm at the mercy of other what others have written and just blindly type what they tell me too. I don't like not knowing what the commands I type in do.

2 comments:

Enos Straitt said...

The scanner should be easy (thanx to SANE) but I do not know if the USB printer will be. I know my HP Inkjet (not sure on the model...it was a hand me down from my wife's boss) worked very well...installed just about like Windows did.

I actually have had better results in Linux on scanning than I did in Windows. The cheap scanner we bought does not see much use, but the Windows TWAIN drivers are ugly. Linux has been pretty good with scanning (well, for me).

Anonymous said...

Great blog!

It's great to see such an open-minded approach. It's also a good description of the experiences of what may well be characteristic for the next batch of desktop Linux users. (Although from what I've seen, actually even since these 6 months (k)ubuntu as come a very long way in resolving many of the (driver) issues you had).

I couldn't believe that the VPN thing was impossible, so I did a quick search, you might get lucky with this link.

Cheers!