Thursday, June 12, 2014

Upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04

I stayed with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS through all the upgrades until 14.04LTS came out.  Well I couldn't wait until July for the upgrade to just happen (LTS's are not upgraded until a point release on the new LTS) so I made it upgrade tonight.  It's done with a single Terminal Command (make sure you have 12.04 up to date before trying this;

1.   Open a Terminal Window and type the following;

 sudo update-manager -d

This will start the upgrade process.  It took about one hour to download all the updates, an hour and 20 minutes to do all the installs and 15 minutes for the clean up process.  (about two hours total).  Once done I had no problems getting into the system and thing looked good.  (I had to upgrade my nVidia Driver to 331.38 (SYSTEM SETTING--->SOFTWARE & UPDATES--->ADDTIONAL DRIVERS tab)




I've found two other things I need to fix, Photoshop CS2 the ALT is not functioning again but I know how to make it work (there is a post in this blog on howto make it right).  The second is more difficult, Chrome won't start.  When I figure it out I'll post another how to on it.


2 comments:

Enos Straitt said...

I finally got Debe off the Windows train and she is using the latest version of Ubuntu. Since most of what she does is online, apps were not a problem. She listens to mp3's and Rhythm box works just fine for her.

As for me, I am giving Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon interface) a spin and so far I am happy. DVD's work out of the box and this distro seems to handle my hardware a bit better than Ubuntu did (at least from a sound and video standpoint.

Jeff M. said...

I use Clementine for music, but MCW you know me and music so my opinion on it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think one of my next posts will be about what software I've installed and use.