Thursday, June 12, 2014

Google Chrome: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0


After upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 14.04 my Google Chrome Browser stopped working. It wouldn't start when I clicked on it in the Unity Launcher so I opened a Terminal Windows and tried to start it there by typing in google-chrome.  When I did this I got the following error;

/opt/google/chrome/chrome: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What the hell do you do?  Reinstall Google Chrome right?  Wrong, that didn't work.  After some internet searching I found the following Terminal Commands that worked like a charm.  You only need to run one of these commands.  Which one depends on which 'bit' version of Ubuntu you have 64-bit or 32-bit (mine is 32-bit)

Open a Terminal Windows and type ONE of the below commands.

64-bit fix
   sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.3.5 /usr/lib/libudev.so.0

32-bit fix
   sudo ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1.3.5 /usr/lib/libudev.so.0

FIXED!!!!!!


Here's a link back to the site where I found this fix;
http://askubuntu.com/questions/369310/how-to-fix-missing-libudev-so-0-for-chrome-to-start-again


1 comment:

Enos Straitt said...

Broken links happen...I have not had this happen in a while.