Monday, March 12, 2012

Made the jump to 11.10 and Unity

I finally made the jump to Ubuntu 11.10 with it's Unity interface.  I don't really want the Unity Desktop and would have liked to have a built-in choice (I know I can install Gnome 3 but it would have been nice to have this choice built-in).

My reason for making this jump is simple; from everything I've read Canonical is committed to Unity and if I want to stay with Ubuntu then it's Unity or custom work every upgrade.

We are getting close to the Ubuntu's Long Term Release and it will have Unity so I'm going to give it a chance.  I have to admit that I have some dislike of Unity going into this but I think most of it is because Canonical has taken away my choice in this matter.  However Canonical and Ubuntu has been good to me over the years since I've started this blog so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, assume they know what their doing and give Unity a fair try.

The upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 was painless, taking about an hour.  It booted fine and keep most everything I had under 11.04.  For some reason it decided to change my background to a Star Trek theme.  I think I had download this theme once in the past but it was too busy to use.  Since it is still too busy to use the only thing I've done so far is change the background.  I actually put some thought into this; its not Microsoft, its not Apple, and its not the Ubuntu I'm use to, so I went with something different.  I'll post more as I learn.


3 comments:

Enos Straitt said...

I moved to 11.10 a while back and then installed Gnome 3 with a few tweaks and it has been okay, but lately my HP laptop that I have Ubuntu installed on hangs and other times the mouse (trackpad) keys will not work. Reboot and it is fine. Not digging Unity at all. It might be fine for a tablet but it sucks as a desktop UI. I think I may move to Mint.

Jeff M. said...

I have a virtual install of Mint and it's not bad. I don't like the way Unity was forced on me but I'm going to give it a chance. So far nothing I had working has broken but I haven't went into the deep waters yet. It seems that MS is going the Tablet look/feel too. Although the desktop is still there in Windows 8 but it feels like Windows 95. You can tell the Metro Interface is just slapped over top Windows 7.

Jeff M. said...

If you have enough ram in your system I recommend you install Virtual Box on your machine and test other Distros there. I have a Virtual XP Pro, Windows 7, Dos 6.2, Windows 8 Preview and Mint. The MS installs are very handy, if you have MS apps you just can't live without you can use them in the virtual machine and share the data back to your Linux box.