Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Gutsy Gibbon Sharing a Printer

I installed my Laser Jet 1100 printer on my desktop Ubuntu Feisty Fawn install. The printer worked just fine as a local printer under Feisty but I could not share it. I tried but I couldn't figure it out. You can read about those attempts below in past posts. I tried to hit it through the network with my Ubuntu Feisty Laptop and from a MS Vista machine. Neither worked.

Well I've upgraded both the Desktop and the Laptop to Gutsy Gibbon and decided to try to share the printer again. I figured I was in for another fight but when I went to SYSTEM - ADMINISTRATION - PRINTING I was presented with this screen:
I thought I'd take a chance and checked the SHARE PUBLISHED PRINTERS CONNECTED TO THIS SYSTEM block and Clicked the Apply button on the Desktop. I then went to the Gutsy Laptop and checked the SHOW PRINTERS SHARED BY OTHER SYSTEMS box then Clicked the Apply Button. I few seconds pause and my Desktop Gutsy Printer Share appeared in the list of printers on left in the picture on the Gutsy Laptop. I selected the shared printer and was asked if I wanted to make it my default printer. I did then opened OO Writer and printed a test page from the Laptop. It worked. You can see there are other options here when sharing a printer but they are self explanatory.

A couple of notes:
1. I had already installed the printer and had it working locally under Feisty on the Desktop.
2. I had installed and connected the Laptop directly to the printer once under Feisty so the drivers were already on the Laptop too.
3. I had fought with CUPP and tried so many things I've forgotten most the ones I did try under Feisty (I never did get it to work).
4. Under Gutsy all I did was check the blocks and it worked.
5. I will try to get MS Vista to connect to the printer later this week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well mate, try as I might I cannot get network printer working.

Unknown said...

Follow up. I have a main desktop running gutsy. A brother laser connected parallel:/dev/lp0

plus the same one

ipp://localhost:631/printers/Laser

My laptop also running Gutsy.

when I set the ipp settings on the laptop to ipp://XXX.XXX.X.X.X:631/printers/Laser

it isn't found ??? Pulling my hair out here. The laptop does not see any printers on the network???


Any help appreciated.


Tony

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem under Feisty and I still can't get the MS Vista machine to see the printer. On the linux machines I tested so many different things it's hard to tell what made it work. I know I made sure I could share files between the machines and I use the same user name and password on both. Down in this Blog I listed every thing I did with CUPP it might help.

This is one of the problems I have with linux, if it works it works great but when it doesn't it a real pain to fix.