Thursday, July 27, 2017

Ubuntu 16.04 (host) running Virtualbox 5.1.24 upgrading the guest to Windows 10 Creator Edition 1703

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 with Virtualbox 5.1.24.  In Virtualbox I was Running Windows 10 Home 64bit (version 1607).  I wanted to upgrade it to Windows 10 Creator Edition (version 1703) which was released in April 2017.

I was a little worried about this update because there are multiple stories on the net about Creator Edition killing machine and that was when they were native Windows upgrades.  My virtual Windows 10 was not offering the upgrade so I decided to take a chance and downloaded the Stand Alone Updater for Windows 10 Creator Edition.

It took about 90 minutes total for it to download and install the update but it worked without problems.  After the resets my Virtualbox booted Windows 10 Creator Edition just fine.

The only problem I've noticed is that my network shares were not connecting.  I manually removed and reconnected them and they would work for a few minutes then started throwing errors about missing drives.

To work around this I setup SHARED FOLDERS in Virtualbox which worked.  When I clicked on NETWORK in Windows 10 it showed a server named VBOXSVR which had my SHARED FOLDERS (from my Ubuntu host) in it.  To connect it, I just mapped the drive in Windows 10 to reconnect at startup.  I used \\VBOXSRV\Downloads to connect my Ubuntu Downloads directory. That worked.  It now connects my Ubuntu Downloads directory as drive z: on my Windows 10 virtual.

To do this just;

1. Open Virtualbox
2. Right Click on your Windows 10 virtual
3. Select SETTINGS


4.  Select SHARED FOLDERS



5.  Click on the ADD FOLDER icon (blue folder with green plus)
6.  Browse to the (host) Ubuntu folder you want to access in your Virtual Win 10
7.  Select that folder and click OK.
8.  Start your Virtual Windows 10.
9.  Once booted click on your Windows 10 File Manager and click on NETWORK



10.  You should see a machine called VBOXSRV and your
       Virtual Win 10 Machine name.
11.  Double click on the VBOXSRV and you should see your
       Folder that you shared in Virtualbox during (Steps 5-7).
12.  Note that Folder Name
13.  In Windows File Manager double click on THIS PC



14.  Click on the MAP NETWORK DRIVE in the toolbar
15.  In the FOLDER block type \\VBOXSRV\FolderName
       (Replace FolderName with your Folder Name from Step 12)
16.  Check the RECONNECT AT SIGN-IN tick.


That's it you're done.  This is just a work around.  I tried to directly map the network drive in my virtual Win 10 to my Actual Ubuntu Share but that kept failing after a minutes of use.  Turning on the SHARED FOLDERS in Virtualbox and Substitute VBOXSRV for the name of my Ubuntu Computer name worked.


No comments: